During the second half of 2013, the interior finishing continued as well as more exterior staining. The front and back are stained, just need to clear coat – the only spot left is the east side of the upstairs, not sure how to get up there. I also stained the deck & porch, just need to do railings. David completed all the insulation and we have begun doing the tongue & groove in the main ceiling – it looks good and I am staining and poly before it goes up. The sheetrock is completed downstairs and we have mudded and painted the kitchen and the hallway – going to finish the guest room soon completely. Doors are also up for most of the house. Kitchen cabinets and the microwave have gone up too! This spring I am ordering more log furniture, dining room and possibly upstairs bedroom, and we can complete the kitchen and hopefully the upstairs bathroom. We did all this work while having guests up from time to time too and entertaining, not bad!
It’s been awhile since a blog post so I thought I would write a bit about the cabin progress since dry-in was completed. After going up this winter we rented a truck and made the big Lowes/Ikea run – we now have a refrigerator, stove, microwave, and kitchen sink! “Counters” for now are simply leftover subflooring for now. I finished the bathroom painting and stained the door. David has done lots of trim work including the bathroom trim & the entire front wall, first placing insulation in the wall. For his birthday I got him a compound mitre saw with laser guide so angles are easy. He also bought a nail gun and compressor (scary). We had to get a 24′ ladder & you can set it in different positions depending on how high you need to go. While he has been doing trim and stapling insulation in the ceilings my job has been to get started on staining the outside so I bought a nice sprayer – can’t imagine doing it all by brush. I also have trimmed out some of the windows in green. Once we got the guest bedroom ready folks started coming up to visit & that’s been fun – gotta get back on those projects though soon!
We drove up just for the day, and the Mini Cooper definitely could not have made it down our drive, so we parked by the road and hiked down – got the bathroom painted and took some great pics – once the place is insulated and furnished will be nice to be out there in winter time.
This gallery contains 15 photos.
Finally! After 11 weeks (original estimate was 4), the cabin dry-in is complete. We were able to get the first floor log washed and borate treatment done – need to do the back and the second story when we get … Continue reading
This week saw the roof get put on as well as the windows installed! Looks really great and I have also paid for the woodstove so that should be coming soon – we are in the home stretch and all that’s left to do (dry-in) is railings, stairs on porch, wood stove install, and stairs inside, plus basement framing.